Tuesday, April 4, 2017

The First Tuesday of April Has Arrived

If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans.
- Woody Allen                                                                      

So as you may have guessed there has been a wrench thrown in my plans for coming off the methotrexate.  Lots changed - one being that I decided to change my rheumatologist.  I have been desperate to find a doctor that is smart, has a great bedside manner, is somewhat local, takes my insurance and will call me if I reach out for an emergency.  Am I asking for too much? Possibly because I swear it is not an easy find.  My previous doctor I did like however after two years the man just started to get too many strikes.  At this point I am too scared to use to him at a crucial time like this.  So with that, I gathered up all my blood work (Make sure you always get copies of all your blood work. This way should you need to change doctors one day, the new doctor will get a better feeling of you as a patient by reviewing your labs) and met my new doctor yesterday.  He seems good, first impression went well, and his secretary seemed super nice (which is ALWAYS a plus).  

Second thing to change was work plans. At the end of this month I have a week long work trip across the country for a trade show. It is a lot of walking around, meetings, late dinners.. it's A LOT, even for a healthy person. 


Third, the weather in NY last week was HORRIBLE. Depressing rain all day, cold and windy. I don't know about you but for me, the weather always throws my body for a loop.  I was limping a bit last week - one ankle was acting up.  I even took a day off to stay home and rest. Thankful to be able to do my work in my bed, off my laptop! 


And last but not least: Unforeseeable STRESS.  Stress is a very common trigger for a flare up, so right now just is not the time. I am actually going to Yoga tonight, some meditation, stretching and deep breathing helps eliminate my pain and just resets the mind for the better.  For me, it works.  I'm no yogi by any means but I for sure would love to be. 


All in all - all signs point to delaying everything at least a month.  Which frankly annoys me because I am eager to get this ball rolling!! But mentally I am telling myself "Jacki, just take your time, do it right girl, you'll get off the meds but if you rush it - YOU WILL FLARE." Flaring scares the sh!t out of me because hospital stays are obviously the worst and I have had my fair share. All I have to do is think about being in that ugly blue gown and not being able to shower and I am like OKAY, whatever I gotta do, I WILL DO just to avoid the damn hospital.  Luckily my fiance gets it - he is super supportive and if we can try for a baby tomorrow, great, if not, its totally fine.  No pressure, no disappointment, and completely supportive (thank you for that Fluffy).

So back to the new doctor - who after looking me over and seeing my extensive lab packet, ALSO believes I have MCTD.  Althoughhhhhhh he did say I lean more towards Lupus.  FYI I tell everyone I have RA because I feel like people recognize the term RA. RA? Rheumatoid Arthritis?.. Ah Arthritis, her body aches, okay, got it.  Which is really the truth, the real problem I have everyday is my body aches, like more often than not and I am really tired, like a lot.  It's funny, he asked me what is it that I feel? And truthfully - I know I have pain - but after you have this ongoing pain for so long, you live with it.  It becomes your new norm. The fatigue? I know it's bad, but I AM ALWAYS TIRED so really I don't have a normal scale of someone who's like I dunno, average tired.  I just know, no matter how much sleep I get, I'm still tired.  Side note: he did tell me that I should lower the Plaquenil I take to one pill a day instead of two.  Apparently new studies show that too much Plaquenil aint the best.  Any who - new blood work will be taken tonight.. new numbers should be in by Friday so here's hoping for some stable news. I will make sure to write sometime next week.

Another mention - this doctor did tell me that Sulfasalazine and Plaquenil are a-okay for taking during conceiving period.  Which is in compliance with my previous doctor AS WELL AS my gynecologist. He did say that prednisone, should I need it, is okay to take as well. Gyno and last Rheumo told me the same however mehhhhhhhh- I know if I need it - I'll take it but I'm going to hope for the best and positive thinking = positive results. Ever read the book The Secret? There has to be some truth in that. #ASKBELIEVERECEIVE 


Speak to ya'll when the new labs are in.. fingers crossed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment