Thursday, March 9, 2017

The Calm Before The Storm

Welcome to MY FIRST BLOG! Eek!

I suppose I should start from the beginning, explain a bit of when my journey with autoimmune issues began and the reason I am typing to you today. First, my name is Jacki and you should know that my autoimmune diagnosis currently is MCTD: Mixed Connective Tissue Disease. To people that aren't familiar with MCTD - I say its a "shmorgasboard of autoimmune diseases".  I have a little bit of Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Raynaud's Disease, Sjogrens Syndrome, and possibly Hashimoto's thyroiditis (wow that sounds like a lot when I am typing it out which has been a first). I say the word "currently" since anyone who is familiar with being diagnosed with an autoimmune disease - you can one day see a new physician with a whole new outlook and be told that you actually "don't have that, it seems to me you have this".  I have heard this from so many other people diagnosed with various auto immune diseases (including experiencing it myself). Unfortunately, this isn't the fault of the physicians, this is just the crazy world of Autoimmunity - it remains a question mark and the medications always change or the dosage does, and we just have to stick with it and try new things till something works.  We are warriors, no matter if you have celiac or RA or vasculitis, it isn't easy having any of them but we get through it day by day.  And don't get me wrong- everyone's pain is different and on different levels but in my book, pain is pain. None of this is fair but like I always say "it is what it is, I'll get past it and I'll always be okay".  I hope you know that too :)

I was first diagnosed with Auto Immune Pancreatitis at the age of 26. I had been having severe stomach pains constantly (which doctors told me was acid reflux), eventually my urine had turned way darker than normal and I was rushed to the hospital. Two hospitals later, twenty pounds lighter (and 1 gallbladder less for that matter), I was put on prednisone for 3 months and feeling great. Six months after the steroids ended, my joints started to ache, my hands and feet would go numb and tingle in the cold, and eventually I decided to see a Rheumatologist. Thus begins what is now going on 7 years of several different medications.  

At the moment I am now 31 years old, and about to be married.  I am currently taking Methotrexate, Plaquenil, Sulfasalazine, Folic Acid, and then there's the occasional Naproxen and Tramadol when needed. And here is where my story unfolds.. we'd like to begin trying for a baby shortly after we are married and the Methotrexate has to be stopped 6 months prior.  I'd have to eliminate any trace of the medication as it can be dangerous for the baby with serious side effects like blood disorders and gastrointestinal problems.  

So okay, no metho - 6 months. I can do this. I mean yes, I have been on methotrexate since almost the entire time I have been sick, lets say 6 years. Plaquenil and Sulfasalazine are still okay to be on throughout the entire pregnancy, which has been tested and many women have had healthy, beautiful babies for decades.  But now back to coming off the metho.. I take my methotrexate - and more or less RELY on it weekly. My body knows when the week is up and my dose is needed.  So.. how do these women do it?  With the internet these days - I assumed there was a lot of women discussing RA/Lupus and their path to conceive.  

Mmmm.. Unfortunately not. I found some, but really, there are a TON of sites telling you how GREAT pregnancy could be when you have autoimmune.  Some women go into remission during their pregnancy.  Some women love to get pregnant because they aren't flaring during the pregnancy at all. Which, don't get me wrong - that sounds amazing. Some women flare after - but then there are some women who go into years of remission after giving birth. GREAT. Please Dear God, I hope that's me.  Matter of fact, I hope that's YOU too! But what about what it took to GET to there?  What happened in the months prior to seeing "You're Pregnant" on the little pee stick?  But how did that go? Was it as bad as I imagine? Did you go on steroids during the "off-medication" phase?  What helped you get through it?  Did you miscarry? Were you able to get up and go to work everyday?  Did you do yoga? What about your diet? Like.. what. did. you. do. to. survive? LOL

So okay, here goes. I am going to try to blog through it all, maybe this blog will help you get a better idea of how someone out there did it.  Or maybe you are a reader who has a loved one going through this exact situation.  I figure if I can help anyone, whomever they are, whatever their situation may be, then this was worth it.  And hey, I think maybe it could even help me to cope too! So today is March 9th, 2017.  I have three more weeks of being on Methotrexate and then will be going cold turkey the first Tuesday in April.  Wish me luck you guys.. this new adventure begins soon 😊 


No comments:

Post a Comment